Monday, November 17, 2008

Jeanne Brasile


Jeanne's Website

The oil paintings from this series, entitled "Shades of Meaning", reflect my interest in the visual nuance of color and the numerous lingual connotations that can attributed to each hue. By integrating stenciled words and a flat ground of saturated paint, I focus attention on the relationship between color and language, eliminating any pictorial context. In doing so I draw attention to the potency with which language and color influence our perceptions. Collectively viewed, these paintings examine the multiplicity of symbolic and vernacular language associated with a specific color. I began this series after meditating upon the color green, realizing that in the English language I could immediately associate ten words with this shade. This series has since grown to become an analysis of eleven different colors and over 50 words associated with them.

No comments: